Saturday, February 21, 2009

Just a Stroll in the Park....

Today started out not unlike any other Saturday here at Boyle Manor. De Vere and Polly the twenty kilo lap dog were up early. The Guard Dog and I enjoyed a sleep-in. It rained.

A little later than usual De Vere and Polly set off on their power walk. TGD has a little knee issue that keeps him from hardcore exercise and someone has to stay home and keep him company. Well that's my excuse and I'm sticking with it.

Keeping with our usual Saturday morning routine we had plans to met up at the end of the pavement pounding for a game of Stick.


Small Dog - Big Stick.
Things were going well and as the rain was holding off De Vere and I decided to extended our meander through the park. This, of course, leads to more park antics.

Like laying in the mud puddles.

However as the saying goes...

It's All Fun and Games Till Someone Looses an Eye.

Well let's not get too dramatic - fortunately no-one lost an eye. However TGD was attacked by a German Shepard!! The Guard Dog is a (well fed) Chihuahua Pomeranian cross and up against a large bred dog he was a little out of his weight class.


In the six years we have had TGD in our world never, never, ever have we had the experience of a dog fight. Not that this was exactly a fight - that would involve the two parties engaging. TGD didn't stand a chance he was blindsided.
The attacker came bolting toward us without warning. He took to TGD like a Lion to a wounded Gazelle. All thoughts of the dos and don'ts of dog attacks ran through my mind however I still lunged for the beast as he overpowered TGD.


Here is where I start to have some real issues with the incident. I grabbed at the dog at his neck - no collar. I looked up to see where his owner was and sighted in the distance a man walking s l o w l y towards us. In his right hand was a lead with collar attached! Had the dog been wearing his collar I may had a chance to hold the dog off TGD. Added to this the man continued towards us asking his dog to stop. Ummm...?? I'll just continue here - I have no words.


I managed to grab the dog but to no avail, he slipped away to continue his attack. After much shouting and grabbing and kicking The Guard Dog and Polly both managed to slip away to hide behind a tree. Meanwhile De Vere has found a large pointy stick and is advising the guy to control his dog before he stabs it!! (oh dear possible law suit - I think I will leave out any further comments De Vere may or may not have made)

So here is the injury sustained by TGD. Luckily Polly managed to come away unscathed, well not bleeding as both dogs were quite shaken by the whole episode. Not to mention De Vere and myself.
Have you ever heard a Banshee using potty mouth? No, neither had I until I realised the screeching with swearing was actually moi. I managed to find a normal tone to ask the man for his details. He questioned me as to why I would want them! Then that screechy sound came back - I got his details.

The rest of the morning was filled with phone calls to the Police, the Ranger and a vet visit. The Ranger made a home visit. The Vet graciously offered the bill at half price - $125. Thanks for coming! The Vet also advised that the injury could have been worse if not for that thick coat of TGD's.

Poor little TGD has had two injections and we have been sent home with two lots of tablets to be taken over the next ten days.



The Guard Dog was put to bed wrapped in his mummy's old dressing gown and his favorite dolly's... awww.

To Be Continued.


Audrey, Lady of The Manor.

No comments: